History of the founding of the Station

The first Polish independent maritime expedition to the Antarctic took place at the end of 1975. Its main objective was to estimate the krill and fish resources in the Southern Ocean. The expedition reached, among others, the area of King George Island, where it landed. After the reconnaissance of the area, it was decided that it would be a perfect place for setting up a research station.

At the turn of 1976/77, the ships MT Dalmor and MS Zabrze sailed out of Gdynia, carrying the materials for the construction of the station, equipment, fuel, means of transport, food, as well as participants of the expedition and their luggage. The initiator and head of the founding expedition was Assistant Professor Stanisław Rakusa-Suszczewski, Ph.D.

Due to its convenient location, easy access for supply vessels and a nearby source of fresh water, it was decided to establish the Station on King George Island in the Admiralty Bay. The patronage of the Station was given to the eminent Polish polar researcher Henryk Arctowski (1871-1958), who participated in the first scientific expedition to Antarctic on the ship “Belgica” (1897-1899).

The Station was opened on 26 February 1977 and has been operating continuously until now. The enormous involvement of people connected with the Station allowed it to survive the political turmoil during systemic changes and martial law.